ISeeTooClear is offline Kawaii Guide Contributor
      ----

Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Default Advanced Guide: Planning Your Userpage

ADVANCED USERPAGE PLANNING

Hi, after looking around and seeing that some people have never really gone into depth about userpages I decided to describe exactly what a userpage is and why the more to get one and about how to plan out your page.

Originally, I have a guide called Understanding Userpages that briefly goes over what a userpage is, contains, and codes for building your userpage.

Please remember that this guide is more of an advanced planning guide, and is meant for those who have decided to buy a userpage but aren't sure what to do with them or where to start.

Please know that even though I have decided to describe this as best as I can for beginners, that you may need to go back to my other guide to understand it a bit better before moving here about certain coding or lingo.

If you need further help, don't be afraid to private message me.

I would like to point out a few userpages that are pretty advanced on this site right now:

Becca
      ISeeTooClear
      Katryna

These userpages, in reality, are the only three userpages on this site actually done. However, they are all brilliantly put together.

So, let's move on.

Step One:

An easy way to start off with a userpage first of all, is to choose a style that fits well throughout the entire userpage. If you notice, on all three userpages, there is always a color theme that blends well together.

And I know a lot of people will say, "But, Micah, I'm not good with colorssss!!!"

And to that I say, NO FEAR MY FRIENDS! BECAUSE LUCKILY FOR YOU, being a cosmetologist, I have taken a year of color theory and will have an easy solution to picking out a good color theme JUST for you.

Why Understand Colors?
      With colors you can set a mood, attract attention, or make a statement. You can use color to energize, or to cool down. By selecting the right color scheme, you can create an ambiance of elegance, warmth or tranquility, or you can convey an image of playful youthfulness. Color can be your most powerful design element if you learn to use it effectively.

Colors affect us in numerous ways, both mentally and physically. A strong red color has been shown to raise the blood pressure, while a blue color has a calming effect.

Being able to use colors consciously and harmoniously can help you create spectacular results.

This is a color wheel that I have so nicely set up for you and everything.

Each color is labeled, except for of course the tertiary colors which in reality are just the names of the primary colors and the secondary color combined.

Understanding Colors

Primary colors: Red, Blue, Yellow
      These are the most basic of basic colors that make up every color in the rainbow. These colors cannot be made from other colors, they are the BASIC OF BASICS.

Secondary Colors: Green, Orange, Purple
      which are made from two primary colors mixed together.

Tertiary Colors: Red-orange, Red-purple, Blue-purple, Blue-green, Yellow-green, Yellow-orange
      These colors are made from mixing a secondary color together and a primary color

Now that you should understand what each of these colors on the color represent, now it is time to go into the most basic of advanced COLOR theory.

Color Theory

Complimentary Colors

Colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel are considered to be complementary colors (example: red and green).

The high contrast of complementary colors creates a vibrant look especially when used at full saturation. This color scheme must be managed well so it is not jarring.

Complementary colors are tricky to use in large doses, but work well when you want something to stand out.

These colors actually cancel out each-other, meaning they BLEND. I know this hard to understand with basic colors, so for people who are most common with make up or understanding I'm going to explain it this way because it's easy for me to explain.

Let's say you have a bruise that is REALLY ugly on your arm or somewhere. Okay, take a look at the color wheel now. What is the opposite color on the color wheel? To hide that bruise, if you take YELLOW base make up, you can actually hide that bruise, because for some reason- they cancel each other out. They make a neutral, meaning that in actuality they "complement" each other.

Another example, to look at: If you have a really self-centered personality you usually work well with people who are very humble. Your personalities or their personalities COMPLIMENT each other- just like the colors.

Analogous Colors

Analogous color schemes use colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. They usually match well and create serene and comfortable designs.

Analogous color schemes are often found in nature and are harmonious and pleasing to the eye.

Make sure you have enough contrast when choosing an analogous color scheme.

Choose one color to dominate, a second to support. The third color is used (along with black, white or gray) as an accent.

Triad Colors

A triadic color scheme uses colors that are evenly spaced around the color wheel.

Triadic color harmonies tend to be quite vibrant, even if you use pale or unsaturated versions of your hues.

To use a triadic harmony successfully, the colors should be carefully balanced - let one color dominate and use the two others for accent.

Split-Complementary Colors

The split-complementary color scheme is a variation of the complementary color scheme. In addition to the base color, it uses the two colors adjacent to its complement.

This color scheme has the same strong visual contrast as the complementary color scheme, but has less tension.

The split-complimentary color scheme is often a good choice for beginners, because it is difficult to mess up.

Expert Level Color Schemes

Rectangle (tetradic) Colors

The rectangle or tetradic color scheme uses four colors arranged into two complementary pairs.

This rich color scheme offers plenty of possibilities for variation.

The tetradic color scheme works best if you let one color be dominant.

You should also pay attention to the balance between warm and cool colors in your design.

Square Colors

The square color scheme is similar to the rectangle, but with all four colors spaced evenly around the color circle.

The square color scheme works best if you let one color be dominant.

You should also pay attention to the balance between warm and cool colors in your design.

Step Two

Usually once you have decided your color theme you think, NOW, I need a pattern or design to compliment those colors. This is where your own creativity can only lead you.

I usually choose blues- I do this in real life too. I like blues, I like purples too. I'm a pastel or dark-colored kind of girl( not that I'm really depressed) I just prefer more calm outlets and colors. It's the kind of person I am.

I also probably choose blues because I most commonly associate them with stars which I love, and thus most of my userpage themes have always included stars.

Another over-all theme I fell in love with would have to be the use of a teal and hot pink, to create a kind of puppy love theme. Because girls are pink, and boys are teal. It's just something I have found to work.

But if you have a yellow and green theme, you may put sunflowers as your pattern theme.

Whatever the case- fitting patterns into your color scheme is something you can only create and only where you can lead yourself.

And this is where I will take them time to say- PATTERNS.

SEAMLESS PATTERNS ARE IMPORTANT!

When you choose your background, you will want a seamless pattern (OR repeating pattern).

Seamless-Repeating Ex.:

SEAMLESS! I am repeating!

Not repeating/Seamed Ex.:

EVEN though I'm super cute, I should not be used as a background. I will make your page look tacky!

Step Three

When looking at pages, and in my own previous mistakes I have found that people who use text on a background that makes that text basically hard or completely unable to be read make a page look tacky.

One way to fix this, is MY LOVELY TABLES! That's right! Unless you have found a background that is easy to read text off, you should real keep your background in a background, and a table a solid color.

And if you're needing the codes to these tables, they are located in my first guide Understanding Userpages.

The reason for this is because, people come to read your own userpage about the stuff you have put into it!

So, please do us all a favor, and make that page readable!

So, now we come across tables.

Tables are like, the best thing in the world.

In fact, you are reading all of this out of another background/table.

This is where all your content will be stored in.

Which brings us to THE ACTUAL content of the userpage in short.

Each table is a section and should be used as a section. On all of those userpages above, you should have noticed that they were seperated into sections, excluding Katryna's which only contains one section.

Each of these sections have a purpose.

A welcome.... An about me... Characters... Whatever you want to store into that userpage.

They are all separate tables, and all talk about different things which makes a userpage unique. Again, this is where you must apply your own creativity.

Step Four

Please remember these valuable tips throughout designing your page:

*Start off with opening my guide Understanding Userpages*
      ^^ Use the codes and the HTML color chart I have provided you with ^^
      Any codes you need will be located there, if not, please reply to that thread requesting to see if there is a code for what you need.

*Plan your theme, whether it starts off with a pattern or a color theme, apply it to your overall look*

*Make sure that everything on your page can be clearly seen, read, and understood.
      This means that each section should be very thorough with stuff about you, your characters, and what not.

*Make sure to know the difference between too thorough and too simple*

*Make sure that you don't have a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes.*
      N01n3 w@nTs t0 c0ntinUouslee reed s3nt3ncEs L1k3 d1S

*IF you are not so gifted with graphics OR just a beginner, please take the time to view the Art Guides forum OR Art Shops forum*
      ^^ These people have put there time in HELPING you, and don't mind helping you what so ever ^^

*Make sure that you have fun and enjoy creating a userpage that describes YOU.*

destinys child is offline Sunshine State of mind
      Sassy

Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the guide! I'll use it later

Cari is offline Coordinator
      Happy

Mentioned
      103 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the great guide, Micah! I never knew all that stuff about colors. Thanks for describing it all.

:xmascandle:

Good Ol Furball is offline Senior Member
      Cool

Mentioned
      28 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the guide! (sun)

Clara 120 l Good Ol Furball 136 l Little Furball 120
      Thanks Justina for the awesome signature!

Prism is offline Senior Member
      Stars

Mentioned
      37 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

nice guide thank you
      ty Cari for siggy

Cari is offline Coordinator
      Happy

Mentioned
      103 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

My userpage is finally ready.

Bee Pawsitive is offline If it's not right go left
      Happy

Mentioned
      11 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the guide... it will take me a while to digest it all, and I'll probably still never make a user page (because me and that kind of thing don't see eye-to-eye) but at least I'll know how if I ever do want to try!
      Thank you BLAKE for the awesome Signature!
      ~ We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give ~
      ~ She knew this transition was not about becoming better, but about finally allowing herself to become who she'd always been ~

ஐ**o.O Live, Love, Laugh O.o**εз